Saturday, October 22, 2011

Perioral Dermatitis

This is for anyone who has Perioral, I decided to share my story in hopes that someone might stumble on it when they're doing research and it could help them in some way the same way researching helped me quite a bit.

I have dealt with Perioral since 2009 - but just recently learned what exactly it was on my face and how stubborn it can really be.  I am only 19, the first flare up was a month before my 17th birthday (May 2009) and it was nothing like what's been going on with my face this year.  The first flare up was more like dry skin, some oozing and burning/itching.  It did spread, and it was uncomfortable.  My mom who had suffered with this before told me to go straight to the Vitamin E oil and start applying it every day after showering or washing my face.  I tried it, and it worked.  It was cleared up in about a week, so I figured I just had issues with dry skin and that would be it.  WRONG!

It came back last summer (2010) but barely noticeable, I didn't think too much of it and pretty much let it be - tried not to touch it, didn't put anything on it (besides the occasional sun screen - I live in NC and am at the beach as much as I posasibly can) and when fall rolled around, it had dissapeared with no problems.

This final breakout happened in July of this year.  The fact that it always appears in the summer says something to me - I don't know what because there's little information you can find about the root cause of Perioral, but I do know my face and I do believe it has something to do with the extreme heat/humidity we get here in eastern NC, along with the fact that summer is the only time I really sweat at all.

This flare up was definitely the deal breaker for me - it started out small like usual, I'd seen it before so I wasn't worried.  I started with the vitmain E oil again, because it was small enough to deal with but also big enough that it was noticeable.  Needless to say it didn't work, I won't say it made it worse but I know it didn't help.  By the end of July it was pretty bad - starting in the creases of my nose and making its way down around my upperlip, a little had spread into my nostrils and also spread out towards my cheeks.  This isn't the worst it could have been - I've seen worse pictures and realize I've been lucky, but it doesn't change what it is and it sucks to have it no matter how severe it is.  It wasn't the worst, but I surely did make it way worse then it needed to be!

I became frantic (I had a job interview the following week - got the job, and my starting date was August 17th) so I tried everything I had near me.  Very, very bad idea.  PLEASE: If you think this is what you have, GO TO THE DERMATOLOGIST!!!!!!! Not your family doctor, which I will explain why later, and do not try to fix it yourself - it is something you seriously need professional help with, or else you might make matters worse depending on what you're using.

A list of what I applied in hopes of clearing the Perioral up in time for the new job:

Vitamin E: Does nothing, good or bad.  If you have dry skin, this may be something you can look into.

Vaseline total moisture conditioning lotion: I had been using this on my face after showering before the Perioral started just to help with a little dry skin I had, so I decided to try it to help.

Aquafina hand lotion with shea butter:  Bad, bad idea.  I used it for a few days while working to help with the flakes that started along with the Perioral.  Burns, stay away!

Eucerin Aquaphor healing ointment: I was really betting on this to help a lot, soley because it says, "for dry, cracked, or irritated skin"

Hydrocortisone cream:  DO NOT USE THIS.  It burns like anything, and you can not trust the whole "If it burns, that just means it's working!" thing with Perioral.  No doubt this along with everything else made it worse.

Aloe vera gel:  It did soothe the burning, and if you buy a brand that is all natural I don't think it will worsen the break out, mine was probably about 10 years old and was a bad idea in my case.

Sunscreen:  I did research, someone said to try it - so I figured why not.

Tea tree oil: I only used this on a little spot, I was too scared to try it on the whole flare up, but I have heard mixed reviews on this helping.  If you do try it, you must dilute it - seriously.  One or two drops of the oil on a cotton ball, soak the cotton ball up with water and squeeze it out. 

Covergirl foundation:  Just to cover it up, even though I knew in my head this would probably make it worse.

Now, I tried all of this within a week - no joke.  So I can't tell you for sure if anything helped at all.  I would try one product for a day, swiching to another product the next, which is where I definitely did my skin very wrong.  By the end of the week (and the week before starting the new job, yikes) my face was covered in thick, white flakes that itched and burned along with the red Perioral underneath.  I was so upset, and figured I couldn't defeat this on my own so I called and made an appointment the following monday with my family doctor.

My doctor took a look at my face and first noticed the dry skin - I made sure to tell him THIS IS NOT JUST DRY SKIN - after telling him everything I had used on my face to try and clear it up he understood why it was in that condition.  He looked at where exactly the break out was on my face, and decided that I had Seborrheic Dermatitis.  Now I had already done my research and pretty much told myself that I had Perioral Dermatitis - so I did question him, and asked him how come it's not Perioral.  He told me because of the fact it started in the creases of my nose that it had to be Seborrheic.  He's a doctor, so I didn't argue.  He prescribed me Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide cream, and told me that in a few days it would start clearing up and if there were any other problems then call.

I started that day - the cream is white, so that on top of the flaky red was even better for my self-esteem.  I called back to ask if there was anything to help with the dryness - they told me not to put ANYTHING else on it - except water when I shower.  Morning and night, I put the cream on - 4 days later, it was clear besides a little red underneath my nose.  I was amazed and ecstatic.  I kept up with the cream for a week, then deicded to ween myself off.  After two days of only applying once a day, it came back.  Not too much, a couple bumps.  So I started back, and I did this for a little over a month - I'd go a week or two applying then take a few days off - I couldn't see how putting this on every single day could be good.  On one particular day off not applying the night before or that morning - I woke up to my Perioral at it's worst (minus right before I saw the doc.)  It was an angry, fierce red with tons of bumps - starting on the sides of my nose, coming out to my cheeks and spreading down around my mouth, inside the nostrils again and this time down to my chin.  I was shocked and this was the time when I really just broke down, and figured there is no hope for this - until I called a dermatologist.

I arrived at my appointment, got seen by the nurse and told her what I had been on and how long this had been going on (at this point I'd been dealing with it for about 3 months) blah blah.  The Derma. came in shortly after, took one look at both sides and said, "You have what we call Perioral Dermatitis." and of couse I pretty much jumped off of the exam table saying "THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!" and she laughed, and told me that I had been putting the wrong cream - which was only making matters worse, which explains the ugly flare up right before my visit with her - the whole time.  So, that's about 2 months of pissing my skin off.  She prescribed me Oracea to take once a day, which is a pill taken for Rosacea to help with the bumps and it says for the inflammation but I think it's mainly just for the papules and pustules.  She also prescribed Metrogel (which BTW - even with insurance would have cost me $140 dollars so I called back to get the generic version - $15 - called into my pharmacy) the generic version is called Metronidazole topical cream 0.75%, applied morning and night after washing your face.

Now, it's only been a little over a week since I saw her, but let me tell you.  I have no bumps at all, no dry skin, and I am only red underneath my nose and near my chin.  I don't know for sure if this is "IT" but I can tell you I'm the most relieved I've been since July.  She asked for me to come in after 4-6 weeks of treatment, which will be towards the end of November, so we'll see how I'm doing then and what she tells me to do next, I have a feeling it will be to ween myself off Oracea and continue with the cream (which is clear - so no worries about dried up white ointment on your face or what I called my "milk mustache" when I was using what my family doctor gave me) but only for a certain period of time and then eventually stopping treatment all together.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have read a lot of other stories written by others with Perioral and it did help me - I did feel alone, none of my family or friends had this so it was too hard to try and explain to them to make them really understand.  I'm not a doctor or anywhere close, all I know is what was a bad idea and now what to do if this happens again.

For those who have it, or are pretty sure you have it, please go see a Dermatologist.  They will direct you on the right path to getting your normal skin back!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this! I know its two years ago but nice to read for me now. Guess I have to go to the doctor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sorry this reply is almost a year later, yikes! I'm glad this helped you somewhat. I hope that you found a cure that works for you!!

      Delete
    2. There is a solution created by a world renowned Dermatologist that has had 99% positive results. https://cherylleemd.com/pages/pharmacists

      TrueLipids® Hydrate, Correct & Perfect lotion was successfully compounded with 2% erythromycin. The patient used the product 2x/day for approximately four weeks.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am having my first experience with PD (the past month). I need advice and help. Everything I have tried is backfiring and not working. I opened a blog and have photos- any type of advice would be appreciated!! http://perioraldermatitissufferer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry - I had forgotten about this blog post until now. How are things? I checked out your blog and didn't see an update since April, so I hope that's a good thing!

      Delete
  3. 35 yrs old. Been suffering with Periorificial Dermatitis off and on for 6+ yrs. Around the nasolabial folds, chin and eyelids. If you don't want case info, skip to the bottom for what cured it for me.
    Never took hormones. Social drinker. Crappy diet but no fast food or really processed stuff. Never took supplements or did much skincare beyond washing with Bronner's soap and moisturization with oils. Skin leans toward dry, but I live in a tropical climate and it can become greasy. Not acne prone, not even blackheads. I use regular toothpaste and in my shampoo there are SLSs. I've never been one for taking pills I can't remember the last time I took antibiotics, and I haven't had any regular prescriptions ever.
    After much online research and misery, below is what I've done and it's been months of clear after months of rash.
    40% zinc oxide cream applied before bed and once during the day. Beaudreaux's Butt Paste.
    Violet extract applied multiple times in a 24 hour period. Herb farm flowering top.
    25 mg of zinc every day via supplement pill.
    10 billion CFU of acidophilus lactobacillus per day. Walgreens.
    Began cleansing my face with coconut oil with a few drops of carrot seed EO mixed in. When the rash was finally gone I cut down the applications of zinc and Violet to just once per day.
    And that's it, I haven't changed my diet or my toothpaste or my shampoo and I have not stopped drinking. I did not visit a dermatologist or doctor or take any antibiotics. I don't wear much make up but when I do I am able to without having a flare up, providing I keep my routine going.
    Good luck everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your pain! I had PD for several weeks and didn't know it was PD. When I finally knew what I had I was able to cure it in just three days using four different natural products. I swore that if they worked I would tell other people. You can read what I did here.http://www.perioraldermatitisnaturaltreatment.com/perioral-dermatitis-natural-treatment-what-i-did-to-cure-mine/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seborrheic dermatitis and refuse to use hydrocortisone creams. I echo your sentiments to absolutely stay away from it. It will cause negative long term side effects so I want to warn people if the dermatologist prescribes you this cream do not use it. I wrote more about it at sebdermrelief.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seborrheic dermatitis and refuse to use hydrocortisone creams. I echo your sentiments to absolutely stay away from it. It will cause negative long term side effects so I want to warn people if the dermatologist prescribes you this cream do not use it. I wrote more about it at sebdermrelief.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These work:
    yogurt
    calendula oil
    coconut oil
    http://dailytwocents.com/treat-perioral-dermatitis-calendula-cream-work/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this original post is a few years old but I'm dealing with PD with my 5 yr old right now and one thing I didn't see on here was what I discovered is causing my daughter's PD and that is TOOTHPASTE! Specifically SLS (sodium laurel sulfate and other similarly named sodium blah blah blah) and possible flouride also. I found this blog looking for the name if the cream I had read about so I could ask her dr because even though I discontinued SLS and flouride toothpaste it is taking forever to clear on its own. We found the cause about a year ago and changed toothpaste and cleared it up for almost a year until she accidentally tried our grown up toothpaste and we forgot it had SLS and boom! PD breakout immediately about a month ago. By the way SLS is in EVERYTHING including many makeup products, lipsticks and particularly shampoos and toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 36 years old and I've had severe PD for the past two years. It kinda got better when I stopped using fluoride toothpaste, make up, sulfates, moisturizers, etc. but never went away completely. 30 days ago(in the middle of a bad breakout - I had scaley, itchy, painful red blotches over and under my eyes and around my mouth) I started the Whole30 diet. I KID YOU NOT - by day four, there was not a TRACE of PD on my face!!! And now 30 days later, my skin hasn't looked this good in years! If all else has failed you, please, please, please try Whole30 and see if it changes your life like it changed mine. PD is so debilitating and depressing, and I really hope this helps y'all too! I am a happy girl again, praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have suffered PD for a few years now (off and on) and my only cure to outbreaks is Nixoderm! I read a few forums with people using it to treat their PD and it worked. I too used it and it works like a harm. It burns but after day 2, you will notice a reduction in redness and the areas start to dry out. I am currently experiencing another outbreak and have started my Nixoderm to prevent the spread. Easy purchase off Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have suffered PD for a few years now (off and on) and my only cure to outbreaks is Nixoderm! I read a few forums with people using it to treat their PD and it worked. I too used it and it works like a harm. It burns but after day 2, you will notice a reduction in redness and the areas start to dry out. I am currently experiencing another outbreak and have started my Nixoderm to prevent the spread. Easy purchase off Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, I tried all of this within a week - no joke. So I can't tell you for sure if anything helped at all. http://dakhoaaua.vn/nguyen-nhan-bi-benh-bach-bien-va-benh-co-chua-duoc-khong-1677.html/

    Phòng khám đa khoa quốc tế Hcm chuyên khám các bệnh phụ khoa, nam khoa, bệnh xã hội, chuẩn đoán bệnh chính xác, dakhoa tphcm đem lại hiệu qua cao cho bệnh nhân.

    https://chuabenhbachbienodautot.blogspot.com/

    Cách phá mụn cóc hiệu quả https://cachphamuncoc.blogspot.com/
    http://cachtrimuncocsinhduc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my story. But I am 47 yrs old, peri menopausal and has my first POD outbreak 24 years ago, while pregnant with my oldest daughter. I have had several minor outbreaks since that were treated with natural remedies (many listed in this feed) and over the counter diaper creams or antifungals collidal silver. This time was different. My hormones again are out of wack and here we go again another outbreak. Dr prescribed a antifungal with little steroid. I told him no way. Steroids will make it worse. He insisted it would work, so I used it. All cleared up quickly and started to ween off. BAM!!! Here we go again. This time it was way worse. It got to the point I was putting the cream on constantly. Yes, I became dependant on the steroids. Now I am a mess.
    So I called the Dr after reading up on POD and asked to be prescribed Metronidazole and antibiotics. One application and it feels better already. I hope there is not another breakout I have dealt with this round for 6 months. The roller coaster ride is hopefully coming to a stop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ask your dermatologist or dr.for a prescription for topical erythromycin. Worked very well for me, although my PD was brought on from pregnancy. In also washed my face with CeraVe face wash and scrubbed every other night with a sugar and coconut oil before applying erythromycin. Cleared in under 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crystal Grace, had the PD stayed away? Any more outbreaks or did the Oracea work?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Has anyone tried Manuka Honey? I just ordered a medical grade NZ 850+ MGO and hoping it helps, (SO expensive) I’m planning to wash my face with it. I’m at a loss here! I get PD every winter but never knew what it was until this year, my girlfriend who is a PA told me she thinks that’s what it is and after a lot of research I am convinced she’s right. This is the worst I’ve had it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi all! I have very luckily not had a break out since I posted this (fingers crossed). I do not put anything on my face other than Dove Sensitive Skin soap to wash with, and the occasional sun screen in the summer. If my skin gets dried out from showers/winter, I use Cetaphil lotion (there is actually a generic Walmart brand I think is Equate sensitive skin) very sparingly - compare it to the amount of toothpaste you’d use on your toothbrush. I do use mascara and eyeshadow, but no foundation or any variation or full face coverage. I am sure now that Perioral is more talked about there may be makeup options out there (yay!). I hope Oracea is still around for anyone suffering, I know the metronidazole cream is still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never give up in life they all said there is no cure for HIV VIRUS, which is a big lie I have passed through many processes. Also, I never believed there is really a cure to HIV/AIDS until I met Dr. James. The doctor that have been helping people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for HIV permanent cure online I found out about Dr. James, and to my greatest surprise Dr. James has the herbal medicine for HIV cure which I have been looking for years I explained my problems to him through the email I found on someone who testified about Dr.James herbal mix write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.James instructed me, I was very happy after 21 days I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I went for a test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy after all i have been through.you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com And He also has herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; Nephrotic Syndrome, eczema, urethra wart, chronic problems. Herpes, Cancer, ALS, Autism,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV infections,Hives,shingles,blistering, ulcer,Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Typhoid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  and email him
     Email...drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never give up in life they all said there is no cure for HIV VIRUS, which is a big lie I have passed through many processes. Also, I never believed there is really a cure to HIV/AIDS until I met Dr. James. The doctor that have been helping people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for HIV permanent cure online I found out about Dr. James, and to my greatest surprise Dr. James has the herbal medicine for HIV cure which I have been looking for years I explained my problems to him through the email I found on someone who testified about Dr.James herbal mix write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.James instructed me, I was very happy after 21 days I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I went for a test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy after all i have been through.you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com And He also has herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; Nephrotic Syndrome, eczema, urethra wart, chronic problems. Herpes, Cancer, ALS, Autism,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV infections,Hives,shingles,blistering, ulcer,Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Typhoid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  and email him
     Email...drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete